Find out more about Applicant Tracking Software
What is Applicant Tracking Software?
Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) is also called candidate management system. This type of solution helps enterprises to recruit staff members more efficiently. ATS is typically used to post job openings on company website and job boards, browse resumes, and send interview requests to candidates by email. Other key features include: multilingual capabilities, pre-screening questions, response tracking, customized input forms, automated resume tracking, requisition tracking, and applicant tracking. ATS is heavily used by medium-sized and large companies that hire a steady stream of employees for their different departments throughout the year. Start by checking our leader BambooHR, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Most Popular Applicant Tracking Software
Best Applicant Tracking Software
How To Choose The Best Applicant Tracking Software
Applicant tracking software (ATS) is a valuable resource for companies that need to hire employees on a regular basis throughout the year. However, selecting the best applicant tracking software solution may be a difficult task as there a number of quality ATS platforms in the market. This article will help you learn what is applicant tracking software as we detail the crucial factors and features that separate the wheat from the chaff.
Get to know each product with free trial
A great way to start your search for the best applicant tracking software system is to sign up for the free trials offered by leading vendors. This way, you can find out if the features match your needs. We recommend you check out: Zoho Recruit, BambooHR, softgarden, CEIPAL, and Workday.
Small businesses. These companies normally have between 1-50 employees but are usually without a dedicated hiring department.
Midsize businesses. These enterprises typically have between 51-500 employees and if they are growing quickly, they need to hire a dedicated recruiter.
Large enterprises. These big corporations have more than 500 employees, a dedicated IT unit, and many recruiters for their different departments.
Examples of Applicant Tracking Software
- BambooHR: Easy-to-use HR software for small and medium-sized companies. Includes ATS and human resources information system (HRIS) tools that can be accessed in multiple languages. Plus, you can track organizational data like employee retention and turnover. Another advantage is you can limit access based on employee role.
- Zoho Recruit: Recruiting software for HRs and staffing agencies. You can streamline your hiring procedures and get the best available talent with this ATS. Features include: interview scheduling, resume storage, customized company careers pages, automated job board posting, and resume parsing.
- softgarden: Claims it is the only ATS that recycles excellent candidates. Therefore, applications and potential hires are never lost as they are rechurned back into contention. Top features include a career site, job posting, job ad designing, mobile recruiting, and applicant tracking. Users can rate candidates and post comments on their capabilities.
- CEIPAL: With this ATS, you can optimize and simplify your recruiting process. You can also use it to manage job posting, interviews, and feedback, hire suitable candidates, and implement onboarding. Important features include: reporting and notifications, mobile device functionality, social media integration analytics, eBoarding, job posting, and job requisition.
- Workday: You can manage and establish staffing at all levels in your company. Workday Recruiting offers three types of staffing models. You can utilize them to handle the full work lifecycle of your employees. In short, this app is a cohesive and centralized platform that empowers enterprises to staff and manage their global workforce.
Types of Applicant Tracking Software
The following types of software are closely related to ATS in their functions:
- HR apps. HR employees can utilize their mobile device to work on important tasks. Features include one-click payroll runs and mobile clock-in and out.
- Talent management software. Offers tools such as applicant tracking and performance management to enable HR managers to manage the full employee lifecycle from hiring to retirement.
- Onboarding software. You can automate onboarding processes to welcome new hires and train them effectively on their tasks. Features include: onboarding form management, digital signature tools, and new hire task assignment.
- Staffing agency software. Ideal for external staffing and recruiting agencies that can utilize features such as email/calendar integration, back office management, and time and expense tracking to fill roles for their clients.
- Recruiting software. Does more than applicant tracking as you can do background checks, enhance the applicant experience, handle branding initiatives, and more.
Key Features of Applicant Tracking Software
- Applicant scoring and ranking: Allows you to score candidates based on criteria such as personality, skills, and experience. After getting the scores the software can automatically rank the candidates for an opening, or you can do it manually.
- Job posting: Allows you to create job listings for your openings and post them on your website as well as job boards and social media profiles. You can buy job board ads from ATS vendor partners, optimize postings to show up on search engines, and schedule posts in advance.
- Candidate profiles: You can maintain full profiles of job candidates containing resumes, interview notes, manager feedback, evaluation scores, social media profiles, contact information, and more. This enables you to easily search for candidates based on criteria such as keywords, experience, role, location, etc.
- Applicant tracking: Enables you track the stage where the applicant is in such as first interview, screening, etc. As each candidate moves to the next stage or is dropped from the reckoning, the system automatically updates the status in the database.
Benefits of Applicant Tracking Software
- Reporting and analytics: You can get answers to questions such as which website sends you the best candidates, where most candidates fail in the recruiting process, etc. The analytics tools also help you to identify areas where you company can improve. With the reporting feature, you can generate reports to keep stakeholders updated and also use them to meet compliance needs.
- Applicant scoring and ranking: Hiring managers, recruiters and others can collaborate to evaluate applicants. They can use the same criteria for all candidates. In top systems, you simply need to input data on the most valuable criteria you are looking for and they will automatically rank candidates for you.
- Candidate data management: Typically, candidate applications and resumes pour in from various sources. ATS enables you to automatically import and store them in a secure database. You can create full profiles for candidates and easily search through them to look for criteria such as role, skills, location, etc.
- Customized recruiting workflows: Each company has its own process and criteria for hiring employees. ATS enables your firm to customize the hiring process for each role and standardize it with steps for candidate evaluation, interviews, etc. Plus, it offers tools such as automated alerts, shared calendars, and task lists to ensure nothing is missed.
Employee diversity is important
Diversity is not just for the sake of public image. It also offers tangible business results. A Gallup report reveals that companies that have an almost equal number of men and women employees enjoy greater profits. Plus, a Glassdoor survey shows that two-thirds of applicants consider diversity to be a key factor while evaluating job offers and companies. Top enterprises such as Microsoft and Apple are actively embracing diversity and small companies need to follow their example to stay competitive.
Mobile applying is becoming popular
A study conducted by the Pew Research Center shows that 28% of American candidates have utilized a smartphone to search for jobs. This rises to 53% for candidates between 18 to 29 years of age. They are going beyond reading information on job openings and even applying for positions from their mobile phone. Therefore, it has become imperative for companies to optimize their application process for mobile users so that they don’t miss out on tech-savvy candidates.
You can miss good candidates
ATS systems are designed to evaluate resumes that meet exact criteria. The drawback is they may not consider some types of candidates such as those who have good experience in a different field and are now looking to switch careers. The software may end up ignoring such valuable applicants.
Unreliable and inaccurate
Sometimes, the ATS may reject resumes for reasons such as inability of the scanner to read the information properly or if a resume is designed in a slightly complex manner. This drawback affects both candidates as well as businesses as they miss out on the chance to establish a mutually beneficial relationship.
List of Applicant Tracking Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our site makes use of our special SmartScore™ algorithm to analyze all the applications in the Applicant Tracking Software category in orded to help you decide on the best possible service. It compares and contrasts the following metrics: key components, collaboration features, custom elements, available integrations, how easy a software is to use and learn, help & support, security, support for smartphones and tablets, scores in other media. At the moment, BambooHR is the leader in this category and is recommended by our experts. After extensive research and analysis it had the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the alternatives for your company.
User Satisfaction Read More
A summary of total user satisfaction with the services in our Applicant Tracking Software category based on our unique algorythm that finds user reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites in order to help you make an informed buying decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Applicant Tracking Software category will have a different set of pricing packages for its app and each package will include a different set of features. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable plan provided for each app. Keep in mind that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
A summary of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B tools in the Applicant Tracking Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Find out which languages and geographies are served by the popular B2B solutions in the Applicant Tracking Software category, including services intended for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Learn what pricing plans are offered by the vendors in the Applicant Tracking Software category to see which one suits your business needs and budget best. Keep in mind that certain software can support free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
Customer Types Read More
An overview of what types of companies a given B2B platform in the Applicant Tracking Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what kinds of software deployement are offered by every B2B vendor in the Applicant Tracking Software category. Even though almost all modern SaaS services are cloud-based there are services may offer an on-site deployment model too.